The Baby Friendly Hospital Initiative Hong Kong Association (BFHIHKA) was formed in 1994 to promote, protect, and support breastfeeding in Hong Kong.
To PROMOTE breastfeeding, we:
- organize activities to raise public awareness, e.g. annual celebration of World Breastfeeding Week .
To PROTECT the child’s right be to breastfed and mother’s rights to breastfeeding, we
- advocate the protection of breastfeeding rights, and respond to current events about breastfeeding through various channels
- advocate the implementation of the International Code of marketing of breastmilk substitutes in Hong Kong
- advocate improving the maternity protection policies in Hong Kong
To SUPPORT mothers to breastfeed, we:
- Encourage and facilitate (through operating the Baby-Friendly Health Facilities Designation Programme) all hospitals with maternity units and community child health clinics to attain the relevant WHO/UNICEF standards of a baby-friendly health facility
- conduct survey to observe the trend of Baby-Friendly practices in Hong Kong hospitals
- operate a breastfeeding hotline (Baby Friendly Hotline: 2838 7727) to help nursing mothers cope with common problems and ease their worries;
- Advocate the implementation of breastfeeding friendly workplace by all employers, to enable mothers to continue breastfeeding after returning to work
- Advocate the implementation of breastfeeding friendly public venues (e.g. shopping malls, restaurants, etc.) in the community